Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Musings: HP 7.2 aka Loving Snape

*Admittedly, I am not a fan of the series. I haven't read the books nor watched all the movies.










When I first heard that I'd be watching the last installment of Harry Potter for free, I actually did not know what to feel or make out of it. First, I am not a fan. I just thought I'd be unworthy of the privilege, knowing other hopeful fans would want to have my passes. It would also be a guilt-trip moment since the non fan (aka me) gets to watch it on the opening day while the others (aka hardcore fans) patiently wait in the queue to get the tickets. In the parlance of the HP world, let's just say they're wizards, and I, admittedly am a humble muggle. Well, that may be the case, but this time, the magic is in my hands! (insert evil laugh of Voldemort after saying Harry is dead. HEHEHE)


Second, I avoided screenings that had so much HP fans in them. Let's face it, some fans (not all, mind you) lose it and become rather hysterical and way too spazzy, in their own ways, which sometimes distract other moviegoers. And I for one, do like that.


But, off I went.


 First, because it was for a cause - for the benefit of the Jose Reyes Hospital in Manila and their patients. And, it would be shown in Trinoma, one of the few places that I really love watching movies at. Really, it was another excuse to be at the comfort of the movie theater.


Anyway, since I haven't really got a good grasp of the entire HP story, I simply cannot judge if the movie was faithful to the book. Or if it was a great adaptation. But one thing struck me and lingered within the corners of my slightly fried brains until now- Severus Snape redefined love.






Cheesy, you say. Indeed it is.


Sorry, dreamlovers out there but the character would want to eat your brains and rip your heart of cheesiness.  In simple terms, Snape, all along, who is seemingly the wicked and ruthless guy suspected to get in the way of our protagonist Harry Potter, is in fact, protecting the latter from harm (and all those evil stuffs) because he just can't get over his former flame, Lily, who is Harry's mother. He has that innate desire to take care of his ex lover's son. He has that conscious and constant effort to love whoever it is that he deems to be loved by the love of his life. (Love.Love.Love) That's how much he cares for her! That's how much he loves her! Even if she was not his. Even if  he did not have all of her. Even if he only had a part of her.






For a story that revolves around revenge (oh yes it is), the Harry Potter series redeems itself here. Redemption may not probably encompass the entire situation, but it somehow balances the act of the vendetta concept. Voldemort seeks vengeance; he seeks power. And Harry is also turning the tables but he's out there not just to avenge but to defend himself, his family, friends and loved ones, even Hogwarts as well. But Snape, among others, is a pivotal character that can be subject to considerable complexity and utter mystery.  His character is a representation of a man who's a victim of society's incurable disease to stereotype. He's officious, creepy-looking, therefore, he's a bad guy. He's the guy we've been watching all along, but cannot fully grasp nor comprehend. Countless judgement and ill thoughts surge our mind when we think of him but we do not know completely know his motivations, his darkest secrets. Yet, he does not defend himself from the nasty impression nor he denies anything and be the good guy. He just lets himself be himself. Be Snape, no matter what you think of him, at all odds. But, time will come, not may be at the present or in the near future -but in the right time- all things will fall into place and then we'd be enlightened. Only then can we understand and accept him.


It seems like I'm not the only one who loves Snape. You know how much people love him? Check this. Snape bested Ron Weasley to earn the fan-voted title of the greatest character ever in J.K. Rowling's fantasy series. Below is an interview.






Anyway, I empathize with the fans and not-so-fans of HP, it must have been really overwhelming for them to say goodbye to their beloved series.


And just for the record, I fell all the more in love with Alan Rickman (yes, he played Snape) and definitely in awe of J.K. Rowling's imagination.


For now, you tell me you really know how to love? Well, you haven't met Severus Snape, darling.


RT:
❒ Single ❒ Taken ✔ Waiting for someone who will love me as much as Severus Snape loved Lily Potter. #creep :))

2 comments:

  1. Actually, Snape didn't really go out with Lily, as in they didn't have that kind of intimate relationship. In fact, he wasn't even able to tell his real feelings for Harry's mom (if my memory serves me correctly, that was what had happened in the book). But they were childhood friends.

    I'm one the "fans..." But unfortunately, I still haven't seen this one. It's a shame, really. Friends are telling me this part is but excellent.

    BTW, your photo banner is a scene from Bridges of Madison County, right? Meryl Streep as Francesca and Clint Eastwood as Robert... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sam Oh is it the case? I must have really misunderstood or assumed their relationship. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, yes the picture above is a production still from Bridges of Madison County.

    ReplyDelete

Share!