Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The 2011 Film Festival Challenge

Thunder roared. Heavy rain poured. And there we were, seemingly dancing under the buckets of teardrops beneath the angry skies.

I wish it was that beautiful. That poetic. But it wasn't. All I remember was my AP friends fooled around, twirled our umbrellas and dragged ourselves from PLM to the United Nations LRT station, despite it was raining cats and dogs. And that's probably the most memorable trip I had to any film festival I had ever participated. That was during the French Film Festival at EDSA Shangri-La. 

And that was three years ago.

I had first known about the film festivals held in Shang when I came across an ad about it in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. I was a sophomore then. I perfectly remember that we were celebrating our university's foundation day when I, together with my friend, first went there. That was definitely not the last time.

Admittedly, that time, watching French films sounds more exciting to me than just lingering around the campus, pretending to be excited about activities that didn't require our participation, except may be for scripted applause. Clearly, there are better ways to kill time, and for something that you enjoy, right? Let the blissful murder of le temps, commence! Hence, it was a great way to get away (I love the rhyme). And one that doesn't cost; it's open to the public. First-come, first-served though.

French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and even silent films are featured every cycle. I'm not sure, but I think they also showcase Taiwanese and Spanish film festivals, as well. 

Last year, I was too busy with my academics and extra-curricular activities that I actually missed several film festivals at Shang. In fact, I only got to watch a film called The Stendahl Syndrome (about an illness of the same name) during the Italian film festival last October. (Yes. I was that busy.)

But this year? Let's just say, I will not let that happen again. I made myself a challenge: I vow to watch at least once in every film festival this year. Tee hee, I can download the films via torrent or have them in pirated DVD, but this challenge thrills me. The idea of finding time to be there even on hectic days is quite fun to imagine.


The French Film festival ad at Shangri-La, featuring the lovely portrait of Sandrine Bonnaire, whose films had been showcased during the film fest. 

The French film fest had just finished last June and I had only watched two films: Mademoiselle and Arthur. Currently, I'm planning  to attend the Eiga Sai or the Japanese film fest, from July 1 to 10.

Let the challenge begin!

Meanwhile, Tara lets!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!