Monday, November 28, 2011

Musings: Memory of My Melancholy Whores (2004)

Memory of My Melancholy Whores, Spain (2004)
aka Memoria de Mis Putas Tristes
Written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Memory of My Melancholy Whores is a quick read but surely it will have you thinking and feeling for a long time.

Ageing, just like time, is one of the elements in this world that we cannot stop. We try so hard to put a halt to this, sometimes wishing we can stay at one moment in our life. And that's what's so compelling to find out as this story unfolds- will it just be a one night stand? Or will it be a tipping point for a man's life- to value his life the way he never thought and expected it to be?

I guess this book would have a varied impact depending on one's age and how one views life, but regardless of these factors, it would get you thinking about life, or something like it. And if ever you find it complicated and profound, I daresay, it must! We're talking about life here!

Notes:
I know that I'm enjoying a good read if I often pause, reread the lines, inhale deeply and relish the idea that was put on paper. And yes, I did these so many times while reading this! Haha. It probably warded off some bystanders...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!