Thursday, March 5, 2015

Surprises: Writing for an Awards Night

#so2014 #latepost

In my career as a writer, there are still many things I have yet to do and experience. None of those includes plagiarism, though. Like many of us, I craft a Bucket List and hope someday I could cross all, if not most, of the items on that file. That day, I did nothing of that sort.

This particular event was never on that list, not even in my wildest imagination. I welcomed it with a big embrace, still. Clueless but excited. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to write for an Awards Night, thanks to my co-writer at work (hello and thank you, Ate if you're reading this!) who recommended me to a well-known TV director (hello, congrats on the recent feat Direk, if you come across this post!), who directed the show.

It was nerve-racking. I was put on the spot. I wish I had taken a class on improv, who knows, may be I had acted differently. And like a principle applied on improv: You just have to go with the flow. Thank goodness I have this sense of "bahala na" attitude, which on that day was put to the test.

One thing I learned: it's better to try regardless of the outcome than to have never tried at all. Where's the fun in not trying? Fear is something that we should get used to, and it should not be something that stops us from accomplishing things.

So here's a quick roundup of what happened: I was told about the event the night before. I went there, met everyone, brainstormed. And wrote the script. On the Spot... A few hours before the main event. How did I do it? With great difficulty, of course. Have you ever heard of that term "cram-berries?"

As the Destiny's Child song goes, I'm a Survivor (whut), I'm not gon give up (whut), I'm not gon stop (whut)... I did work harder. I did not know what I was doing but I was grateful I was in the hands of a very supportive team who's a pro on these kinds of events. I did not bother, meaning it wasn't top of my priority, to get a very high pay on this one. I'd be rich in terms of learnings, anyway.

It was nice to have a host who can deliver the spiels you've written, perhaps not verbatim, but still get the idea across the audience with great ease and then sprinkle it with his own brand of humor. That kept everyone entertained despite the predictability of such events.

Among the A-list celebrities who attended were: GMA News Anchor Arnold Clavio, MOWELFUND chair Boots Anson-Roa, showbiz personalities like Angel Locsin, Robin Padilla and the controversial politician E.R. Ejercito.

Here are some snapshots of the said event.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!