Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Our Shared Destiny

It was such a sight to behold: the kind that would make a lasting imprint in our history. A few days ago, our fervent Filipino spirit made itself even more evident during the Pope’s visit here. Obviously, not even the tropical storm Amang dampened our burning desire to welcome Pope Francis, the well-loved Catholic leader.

Just as the rains poured from the skies so as the inspiring words that overflowed from the Heavens, which was utterly made clear by His Holiness. Clearly, everybody was touched. Everybody was blessed.

For almost a week, Pinoys have united in the name of our faithfulness. The Palace had even declared special non-working holidays for his visit. Some natives also made it a point to leave their hometown for a while and book a trip to Manila just to take part in this chronicle. Undeniably, it was a gleaming portrait of devotion.

Unlike most of our kababayans who flocked the streets to celebrate this historical occasion for the entire world to see, I was at home monitoring the coverage. With the prevalence of tri-media, especially social media, there’s no excuse to be uninformed. Except probably if you’re apathetic. Which. Is. Tragic. After all, it’s our responsibility to educate ourselves.

From the moment he stepped out of the plane and touched the Philippine soil down to the last wave of the hand and the final glimpse of that angelic face; whether it’d be in Manila Cathedral, Luneta or Leyte; be it under gloomy skies or on a sun-beamed day, Pope Francis always displayed his infectious, signature “Unli-smile” before the Filipino people-- a truly refreshing and comforting picture for a disaster-stricken country such as ours.

What really appealed and stuck with me was the Pope’s impromptu speech delivered during the youth encounter at the University of Santo Tomas.

Admittedly, I am no devout Catholic. I love reading books but Bible studying, even when I went to a Catholic school, is something that I don't do regularly. I don't go to church every Sunday. Sometimes, I "miss" saying my nightly prayers. As a Catholic, I am not proud of these. And at this point, I know that excuses won't lead me anywhere.
As much as possible, I don't like to argue about religion and while I don't say much about it, I know where I stand. I know my faith and I have so much respect on what others have to say about their own so I value the same from others too.
Truth be told, sometimes it makes me uncomfortable when some people lift passages from the Bible, Koran or what have you to justify their self-righteousness, to point out others' mistakes and weaknesses in order to highlight their strengths and "perfection." Especially people who constantly preach but don't actively practice. Or those who turn out to exercise the opposite.
I don't say these to prove that I'm better than anyone. I am hoping, though, that we can be courageous enough to exercise humility. To recognize and accept our defects. To understand and empathize with others even those whom we consider our enemies and "the not-so enlightened ones." The sad thing is that we often use religion in order to feel or appear superior and all knowing. Some of the worst deeds were done in His name. Remember the Charlie Hebdo attacks? How about the ISIS atrocities? And let’s not go any farther: the conflict in war-torn Mindanao, which greatly affects our brothers and sisters there.
I admire the Pope because he has the capacity and inclination to look beyond the "text" or "passages" and he does so in moments when people need it the most. He had prepared a speech for the youth encounter at UST. But instead of just using it, he said words from the heart based on what he had seen and felt about our country and its people. His heart softened at the sight of the young girl weeping. And for a question that’s brutally honest as hers, would a Biblical quote suffice as reply? He has knowledge and experience—and that we can’t deny-- but above all, our Pope has empathy and compassion. Before the millions of Filipinos who wanted, and to some extent, demanded answers, the Pope was brave yet humble enough to admit at the same time that he did not have a definite solution.
But he shared one thing: that it’s important to "think, feel and do. And all in harmony. And we have to let ourselves love and be loved."
I think that's far more important than being right.

For me, gone were the days when the Church gave off an intimidating vibe, when things were mostly based on scriptures or conventions. With the Pope’s charismatic and sympathetic approach, the Church has been more embracing of diversity and more in touch with the present human condition.

In his “papal pilgrimage,” Pope Francis makes it a point to engage in interfaith dialogues. An article even dubbed him as the “pilgrim-diplomat.” In fact, the Holy Father “made a surprise stop at the West Bank…. embraced his rabbi and imam friends,” and prior to his Philippine trip, he visited a Buddhist temple in Sri Lanka. He also bowed to Bartholomew I and asked for his blessing to end the schism that split the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, a division that separated both since 1054.

I believe that no religion, faith, sex or race should separate us from doing what is good. Because if there’s willingness, the beautiful path towards peace is always possible. And Pope Francis shows us how to do just that.

I may not have seen Pope Francis personally, but I hope our brief “encounter” with him is not just an overnight sensation hyped by all these media frenzy and the technology-driven realm. But one that would a Lifetime.

Whether you smiled, cried, wept, were overwhelmed or thrilled or “#BlessedByThePope,” do not ever forget that you were part of this history. And if you really do care for the Family that you have which is the World, you will go beyond that fleeting moment when you saw or heard him; it’s your responsibility to go out there and preserve this common history so that it can flourish and that we may take pleasure in having our shared destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!