Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DAD.






On my way to Munoz tonight, I chanced upon a sad scene in the sidewalk. A man was cradling a kid, who was may be around 5-8 years old and apparently afflicted by hydrocephalus.

It was heartbreaking.

The man was not directly asking for alms but there was what I thought to be a donation box right in front of them. Most people pause and give em barya.
Then walk away.

Pag ganito, it's a no-brainer-- of course, I want to help them! So naglagay din ako ng barya dun sa box. Then moved on.

But something was pulling me back. I wanted to talk to the man and ask about their plight.

So I did. And I even hinted that I could seek help online by taking their pic and posting it here.

But he refused. Last year daw kasi,a student also did the same thing.... He was getting gibberish, so I couldn't understand the rest of what he said. Or may be I was just too distracted by the situation before my eyes.

Basta sa pagkakaintindi ko, parang wala namang nangyari so he'd rather not let me take a pic of them. After all, to him, what's the point?

I was taken aback na ayaw nya. But I didn't want to cause a scene by insisting... Instead, I respected his request and slowly moved on.

That right there made me think so much about life.

Really, how could we just walk away from a sight like this? Isn't it alarming that scenarios as such have become too commonplace in the metro that we already accept them as part of our culture and turn us into these jaded, apathetic citizens who opt to live lavishly and comfortably while in any given day, we see so much of the opposite sa ating mga kababayan?

Street children. Rugby boys. Old people, the blind who are serenading us under the scorching sun and sweltering heat.

Etong mga taong to na matatagpuan pa natin sa labas lang ng City Hall.

Normal na lahat ng yan so hayaan na lang...Yan na ang kinagisnan natin, so life goes on...

Really? Really!

Put yourself in the position of a tourist who is visiting our country for the first time. Someone who is foreign to our land.

Wouldn't you be surprised by the indifference? Or would you be amazed how apathetic we are?

Si manong at ang anak nya.
At ang iba pang storya sa kalsada.

Happy Father's Day na lang sa kanila.

----
Giving alms... Ibang storya naman yun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!